Just as successful people seem to share common character traits and lifestyle habits, so do unsuccessful people. , people who struggle to excel in their career and other aspects of life share a few bad habits that may contribute to their lack of success. While even wildly successful people have their faults and no one is perfect, these bad habits may be holding you back. The first step is to recognize your bad habits. Only then can you work toward dropping your old ways and developing the habits that share. If you're guilty of any of the following bad habits, it may be time to reevaluate your tendencies.
1. Tardiness. Showing up late on a regular basis is not only unprofessional, but it may be linked to a series of other negative characteristics. One study even found that like anxiety, low self-control, and a need for thrill-seeking.
2. Conformity. Successful people tend to have little concern for what others think of them. If you want to be successful, blending in will never help you stand out or be recognized for your accomplishments.
3. Procrastination. This one is a bit obvious, but putting off work until the last minute can be detrimental to your career. According to Business Insider, it can cost you time, money, and respect.
4. Lying. When you work hard and follow through on brilliant ideas, there's no need to lie or cheat to get to the top. Yet this common bad habit is easy to fall back on in a pinch. If you have a tendency to fib, make a point to break this bad habit once and for all.
5. Burning Bridges. Unless you are dealing with a seriously toxic situation, it's best to not alienate those around you, even if there are disagreements. You never know when you may need to rely on a person in the future.
Make 2018 the year you break up with your bad habits and begin adopting new ones that will better serve you and your career. There are plenty of to look up to. Take a page out of their books and see how far their advice could take you. Head to for the full story.